What, then, makes SB 145 worthy of our support?
- It makes the consideration of facilities for bicycling and walking a state law, rather than an obscure and often overlooked internal policy of the Transportation Cabinet.
- It requires the Cabinet to file an annual report listing the roadways built or rebuilt, along with the reasons for not including pedestrian or bicycle facilities in any roadways built without them. This provides public accountability not currently present.
- It is acquainting the legislature with the concept of Complete Streets, making it easier for us to find supporters for a stronger bill later.
- It shows our appreciation for Sen. Stine's initiative and willingness to take a legislative risk, making it more likely that we can work with her for future bicycling and walking improvements.
- It gives us the opportunity to urge our Senators and Representatives to amend SB 145 to make it stronger.